Last night, JD Martinez hit his 25th homer of the season, and it was a pretty big deal. How big? Let me count the ways:
- With last night being game #81 of the season, the Red Sox are officially halfway through 2018. This means that JD is on pace to hit 50 homers this year.
- Last season, no Red Sox player hit 25 homers all season. Mookie Betts led the team with 24. Halfway through this season, Martinez already has him beat.
- Speaking of last season, JD spent half of it with the Tigers before being traded to the Diamondbacks. Between the two teams, he hit 45 homers in just 119 games.
- He is the 1st Red Sox since Ted Williams to have more HR at the All-Star break than any member of the team had in the previous season. (per Red Sox Notes)
- JD is the 7th Sox player ever to hit 25 home runs in the team’s first 81 games
- BUT with his 3-run homer last night, JD set a new franchise record for most home runs by a Sox hitter through the end of June (and the month isn’t even over!)
Need a JD jersey? Take $5 off any AffordableJerseys order with code ‘GATG’
Photo: BJ Weiss/Red Sox